This federal office building demonstrates the Canadian government’s commitment to the environment. It achieved LEED-NC Gold certification and received PEI’s Lieutenant Governor’s Award of Excellence in Architecture, and the Solar PV Project of the Year Award.
We performed all mechanical services for this new construction, incuding ventilation, heating, plumbing, building controls, and sprinkler systems.
The project includes a number of unique mechanical systems and innovative and environmental features:
- We used the concrete structure as a heat/cooling sink moving air over the surfaces.
- The same in-floor piping is used for heating and cooling.
- Rainwater harvesting is used for flushing water closets.
- Water-free urinals, low-flow and dual-flush plumbing fixtures.
- Passive solar and open venting for air movement.
- Sprinkler system design was specific to high ceilings and large open areas.
The facility also uses the district heating system that runs throughout the city.